Freitag, November 21

sacramento music woes.

I spent Tuesday night with Allison at Harlow's watching Minus the Bear play. We also briefly watched some crap metal band with an Andrew WK look alike lead singer and bootylicious bass player chick. Then we decided after songs one and a half that the patio seemed much more inviting and a nice place for a beer before watching mtb.

The people-watching alone was fantastic. Allsion and I are both vocal and snarky, so we had quite the enjoyable time!

Here is the thing that frustrates me about the Sacramento music scene and also what I kind of love about it:

NOBODY comes out for live music here.

It makes me both embarassed for our city and yet strangely satisifed that I got to share in on an intimate show.

When Noah and I went to see Damien Jurado play last month, there were all of maybe a dozen plus people there. How is a song writer so fantastic not drawing a larger crowd in a big city? Also, on Sunday I drove out to the Boardwalk in orangevale to see bright light fever (local) and jaguar love play. SHOW CANCELED. And not rescheduled. by a local band. Come on local band! Show your city some love!

This is only so important to me because seeing live music of (almost) any kind is something I truly enjoy so much. After living in Redding (very few live music opportuinities) and moving to Sacramento (many many more live music opportunities) I have tried to take as much advantage of this as possible. But when SNR (Sac news and review.... mostly reliable for upcoming music) says that live jazz will be playing on Friday night at Old Ironsides and then you show up to Old Ironsides to find out Danny Secretion (not a fan) is playing, it's a touch dissapointing.

I'm off to Dimple Records to have my canceled show tickets refunded.

3 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Allison said...

oh wow...that was quite a night. you forgot to mention hand rolled cigarettes and being exhausted by 10:00. i loce streets of london. when i get back from la we'll definately have to go. i've also never been to old ironsides and i really want to. it was good seeing you old pal.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger nina said...

Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger nina said...

how did the above get deleted?

"hey remember the time you almost asked the lead singer of minus the bear for a smoke and then you didn't?"

for allison.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home